Ways to Support Authors
As I became an author, I realized several ways people supported me beyond reading my books. I also realized that I needed to step-up my interactions and involvement with fellow authors. Here’s a few ideas I’ve come to believe are important way all of us can support authors.
- Give the books to friends as gifts. Ask the author for a signature card to add to the book if you cannot purchase a signed copy. Most authors will gladly personalize a stick-on and send it to you.
- Thank the author by writing a review that describes what you enjoyed in the book. It doesn’t need to be very long, just write and share one highlight.
- Send the author a note if something in the book “spoke to you”. We all like to know what caught readers’ interest or what reminded readers’ of events in their own lives.
- Invite the author in real-time or via Skype, etc. to your book club or other club to talk about their book or their theme. We all enjoy sharing our interests and the why behind our writings.
- Recommend the book to local school or public libraries as appropriate. Both are always looking books patrons enjoy to add to their collections.
Please know that authors appreciate your feedback. Thank you from myself and others you support.
Nov. 1st is National Author Day. I hope you will celebrate with me as we wander bookshops and enjoy the wealth of writing available to us.