Writing Warm-up Ideas
Like sports, it’s a good idea to warm-up before you begin writing. Here are a few 5-minute suggestions to use to wake up your writing brain.
1. Scribble. Write nonsense ‘words’ to free your mind of thoughts.
2. Write all the words you can think of that begin with “a”. Another time try other letters of the alphabet as well.
3. Think of a favorite character to describe without using color words.
your work space the weather outside
a favorite food your best friend
a childhood pet the best meal you ever ate
a tearful experience a stranger you just saw
5. Open a book and copy out one sentence. Continue writing what might happen next.
6. Open the dictionary or a thesaurus and select one word to use descriptively in one paragraph.
7. Describe a sunset, sunrise, storm, car trip, argument, surprise moment or a letter you received in the mail recently.