Writing a Pain-Free Review
Author are needy people. We seek validation from our critique groups, mentors and our readers. I know, that’s almost pathetic isn’t it?
Why do authors seek validation?
We work to create interesting stories, but without comments (reviews) we don’t know if we’ve succeeded. That’s where you come in. We hope what we write strikes a favorable chord inside you. That it informs or entertains, startles or amuses you and leaves you feeling satisfied.
But, what should a reader mention in a review? (Please read to the end for a suggestion to ease any stress this section stirs up inside you.)
Select 1 or 2 of these questions to consider:
(1) What did you think of the story?
(2) What parts were exciting or amusing or surprising? (If they give away an important secret, mark them as a “spoiler alert” so readers can choose to read your comment or wait to read that section themselves and be surprised, etc.
(3) How well did the story hold your attention?
(4) Did the main characters interest you? Which characters irritated or disappointed you by their actions?
(5) Did you enjoy the writing style? Why?
(6) What type of reader(s) do you know that would enjoy the book?
Where should readers share their comments?
We hope readers find the positives in our stories and shares them with their friends and on social media. That they take a couple of minutes and post reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, Pinterest, etc. BUT, we realize that is asking a lot, so here’s a plan:
(1) Read the book.
(2) Jot down or flag passages you enjoy or ideas about the book that you’d like to share.
(3) Write a 2-4 sentence comment (review) by using the questions suggested above.
OR . . .
Contact me and I’ll talk you through it. I’ll even write out what you tell me (word-for-word) and send it back to you as an email. You’ll have the opportunity to read and edit it to meet your expectations. I’ll add links so you may post it wherever you like. My cell number is 425-420-5161. Believe me it is no imposition to work with you. In fact, it would be a pleasure to speak with you about books and authors!
Please forward this to your friends who are readers. I will gladly help anyone write and share their book reviews for any books they wish to review. You’ll be helping out us needy authors. A Reminder: You may contact me here by leaving a comment (it becomes public) or call me (425-420-5161)