Activities to Stimulate Writing
Writers have days filled with ideas and days of quiet with or without desperation.
Some days it seems as if ideas flow so fast you can’t get them down on paper or onto your computer. Other days it’s like a desert in your mind where time and ideas are not within reach. For those dry days, here are a few suggestions that might awaken your creative mind or at least take your thinking to different places.
- Go for a walk, a run or a bike ride in a new location
- Take a new route home from work
- Visit a museum, art gallery, street fair or book reading event
- Star gaze
- Bake or cook something out of the ordinary
- Read a book in a genre different from your usual interest
- Shop for a silly gift for a friend and deliver it in person
- Plant bulbs for spring
- Buy a new journal and start writing down those straying thoughts
- Write letters to yourself about yourself and where you grew up
- Take a nap
- Listen to your favorite music