Motivation is important at home, at school, and at work. So what steps help encourage individuals to actively engage?
- Clear objectives. Share the overview of your expectations. Brainstorm ideas on how to reach your goal. Provide resources to help reach that goal.
- Allow individuals to make choices within the project. If people are interested and included in decision-making, they accomplish more.
- Encourage courteous disagreements. Not everyone thinks the ways we do, but courteous exchanges need to be the accepted way to disagree.
- Invite teamwork. Shared thinking, brainstorming, etc, and chances to work with others, creates more ideas than when a person works alone to solve a problem.
- Expect success. When our body language is positive, it hints that we’re expecting to receive the best from everyone.
- Encourage self-reflection. What went well? What ideas helped create the final outcome? What would you do differently next time?