Every hours of every day in school is important. The question is…Is art education a waste of those precious minutes OR is it time wisely spent?
Here are a few results of studies I recently read. (My bias will come through loud and clear.)
Greater access to the arts:
- Improves students chances to succeed in life.
- Advances academic achievement.
- Leads to 4 times as many students involved in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
- Ties directly to math and science concepts in a practical way.
- Makes students more desirable as employees because of their increased involvement in creative outlets.
- Dramatic arts help students expand their confidence and self-expression.
- Improves lower socio-economic students chances of staying in school more than 15%.
- Improves SAT scores by as much as 100 points.
If you have a talent in the arts that you are willing to share, I urge you to contact a school near you to offer your time and services. Your sharing can make a huge difference for the students as well as a deep satisfaction for yourself when you realize the impact your art may make for some of our future leaders.