As 2017 draws to a close, let’s look at ways to improve our time spent volunteering in classrooms. So, what does active listening look like?
- Meet students at their eye level.
- Listen to their comments or questions.
- Try to understand what they want/need from you.
- Attempt to have them tell you what they already know about their problem or question before you jump in with too many unneeded details
- Repeat important information back to them saying something like, “I hear that you want/need _______________.”
- Check back with them to make certain they are on the right track to reach their goal. (Compliment progress students are making.)