In addition to playing board games, computer games as well as dice and cards games with kids, here are two math scavenger hunts. Enjoy!
Math Scavenger Hunt Grades K-2
Ask as adult to be your helper. Look for each of the following items and write down where you found them.
You will need: this paper, a pen or pencil, and various household items to investigate. Check off each item you find. This is where I found it:
- Look for these numbers: 1, 2, 3, and write as high as you can go. ______________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________
- Find these numbers in this order: 123, 234, 345, 456. ________________________
- Look around and find zeroes: Make a tally mark for every one you see. __________________________________________
- Find a used envelope with at least six numbers on it. It says: __________________________________________________
- Write down your house/apartment number. Try to memorize it. _______________________________________________
- Find coins with your birth year date on them. ________________________
- Fine 3 or more words with the same number of letters as your first name. ________________________
- Look for a house that looks like a rectangle with at least 1 triangle on it. ________________________
- Count the windows on one side of a tall building. I counted ___________________________________
- Find a repeating pattern of windows, colors, etc. I found ___________________________________________________
- Read one book for every year of your age. I read: ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Look for American flags flying outside buildings. I found _________ flags.
Which task did you enjoy the most? Why?_________________________________________________________________________
Math Scavenger Hunt Grades 3-5
Ask as adult to be your helper when you need to gather or go look for items. Look for each of the following items and write down where you found them. You will need: this paper, a pen or pencil, and various household items to investigate. Check off each item you find. This is where I found it:
- Look for these numbers: 1, 2, 3, etc. in a sequence for as high as you can find.
- Find these numbers in this order: 1234, 2345, 3456. ________________________
- Look around and find zeroes in 20 different places: Make a tally mark for every one you see. __________________________________________________________
- Find your age numbers on at least six numbers used envelopes or other mail. ________________________
- Write down your house/apartment number. Memorize it. _______________________________________________
- Find 20 coins with your birth year date on them. ________________________
- Fine 30 or more words with the same number of letters as your first name. ________________________________________
- Look for 6 houses that looks like a rectangle with at least 2 triangles. ________________________
- Count the windows on one side of a tall building and estimate the total number of windows you’d see if you counted all sides. I counted ___________ I estimate _____ total windows.
- Read one book for every year of your age. I read: ____________________________________________________________
FINALLY: Look through newspaper sports articles, grocery ads, and movie times. Answer these.
- Compare 2 teams statistics and make a conclusion about which team is currentlythe most successful and why. Share it with an adult. ____________________________________________________________________________________________
- Read the weekly ads of 2 or 3 grocery stores. Compare 5 common items costs. Decide which store has the best bargains on those items. Share with an adult. _____________________________________________________________________________________
- Check movie times in 3 local theaters for a movie you’d like to see. Which one gives you the best times to get there (starting right now) considering you must be driven there and that will take close to or more than 20 minutes. (** If you do extra chores, maybe you will be able to go sometime soon.) Record your results below.
Which task did you enjoy the most and why? _________________________________________________________